FULL TIME RESEARCHER/PHD STUDENT IN REGENERATION AND MICROPROPAGATION OF INDUSTRIAL PLANTS
Deroose Plants is a worldwide provider of young plants with production units in Belgium, China and the USA. Deroose Plants is part of the SIAT group and has over 40 years experience in the micropropagation of tropical plants.
Deroose Plants joined forces with Exotic Plant in the fall of 2017, to create a stronger market position and stimulate further growth.
Collaboration Deroose Plants and VIB - UGent
Deroose Plants wishes to acquire a Baekeland mandate for the development of a regeneration and micropropagation program for elite industrial plants. By implementing Baekeland mandates, VLAIO (Vlaams Agenschap voor Innoveren en Ondernemen) supports scientific research with an economical finality, in which a company and a research institution cooperate. The intended results need to add value for the company involved, and at the same time the research is focused on enhancing the intellectual expertise and maturity of the researcher. Deroose Plants collaborates for this with the VIB- UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology. The researcher will also be part of this plant science institute located at the heart of a renowned Plant Biotechnology campus in Ghent, Belgium. Its mission is to unravel plant biological processes and translate this knowledge into value for society. In this international, highly collaborative and supportive working environment, various training opportunities are possible to broaden your expertise and skills.
The objective of the collaboration between Deroose plants and VIB – UGent with this Baekeland mandate is to explore novel technologies to promote somatic embryogenesis and at the same time to obtain a PhD degree from Ghent University.
We are looking for someone who can:
- Prepare and defend a project proposal to obtain a Baekeland-mandate
- Execute (preliminary) research to support the project proposal
- Reporting of scientific progress, the execution of the innovation objective including the strategic application, a valorization and financial report.
- Diploma Master of Sciences (Biology or related) or Bioscience Engineering (Agronomy)
- Being eligible for a Baekeland mandate (please check www.vlaio.be)
- Experience with molecular biological techniques is a prerequisite
- Research experience in plant physiology or somatic embryogenesis is a big plus
- You have a keen interest in in vitro propagation of plants and have affinity with plantation crops
- You work efficiently
- You communicate clearly and concisely and work well in a team
- You master Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and (preferably) R for statistical analysis
- Fluent in English (verbally and written) is mandatory. Knowledge of Dutch and/or French is beneficial.
We offer a unique opportunity to participate in groundbreaking research in the field of micropropagation of plantation crops and at the same time being able to obtain a PhD.
An ideal combination to learn different techniques in a scientific environment which can be implemented in a later stage to a production environment.
Different workplaces with lots of training possibilities: Deroose Plants: Weststraat 129a – 9940 Sleidinge (Evergem)
VIB – UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology: Technologiepark 71 – 9052 Zwijnaarde
Send your CV and motivation letter to: email@example.comFor more information about the vacancy please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org